This is the best ever chocolate cake recipe made with a delectable cream cheese and chocolate chip frosting, topped with mini chocolate chips and crushed walnut pieces. In our family, this is definitely a “chocolate cake” favorite. This recipe makes for a great birthday cake served with vanilla bean ice cream.
1 cup butter (2 sticks) 2 cups granulated white sugar
1 cup unsweetened cooking cocoa powder 1 cup boiling water
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs 2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk 1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup + 2 TBSP miniature chocolate chips 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oven rack should be placed in the center of oven. With small amount of room temp butter, or oil, grease two- 9-inch round cake pans, then flour.
- In heatproof bowl or cooking pan place the butter, sugar, cocoa powder. Pour hot boiling water over the butter, sugar, and cocoa powder then whisk together until mixed smoothly. Set aside to cool down a bit before adding to the rest of the batter.
- Pour milk in measuring cup; add vinegar to sour milk, set aside.
- In mixing bowl place all dry ingredients–flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then stir to mix.
- Crack eggs in separate bowl to ensure no shell pieces get in the eggs. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk-vinegar mixture to dry ingredients, mix.
- Pour cooled down (butter, sugar, cocoa, and hot water mixture) in the rest of the cake mix. Stir only until mixed.
- Pour batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cakes center comes out clean (do not overcook). Remove from oven, place on cooling rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove from pans and place one cake layer, top side down, on large plate.
- Frost the top and side of the first cake layer with cream cheese frosting, sprinkle ½ cup of mini chocolate chips over the top of the frosting, and when the chocolate begins to melt, use a knife to spread the chocolate through the top of the frosting; mixing the two together in swirling motion. Then place the other cake layer on top, frosting the top and sides, blending the frosting on both layers together all around the sides of the cake. Place the other ½ cup of chocolate chips on top of cake, when chocolate starts to melt repeat the same method as the first layer, pulling the chocolate through the cream cheese frosting mixing the two in a swirling motion. Sprinkle top with remaining 2 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips and walnut pieces. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Rated: 5- Star
Photos By: Virginia Wright
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
* Submit a recipe for possible publication on my blog.
recipesubmission [at] therecipeweekly.com /in the Subject area write: Recipe Submission
© 2012 The Recipe Weekly – Virginia Wright. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.